Through a partnership with community sponsors such as Mark Motley, Motley Rice LLC, and Bank of America, YEScarolina hosts in-school, regional and state business plan competitions. Students have the opportunity to participate in a series of business plan competitions as a part of their entrepreneurship class curriculum. Students will build their business plan over the course of their class. Once completed, they will present their ideas to local business men and women serving as judges. The top students are eligible to win seed money ranging from $100 to $3,000 throughout the course of the competitions to help fund the creation of their businesses.
2016 MARK MOTLEY STATE BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION WINNERS
First Place Winner ($3,000): Karl Jacobs & Kevin Pascal of Fort Dorchester High School
- “SchooLanyard”- SchooLanyard’s mission is to provide a school lanyard with built-in earbuds and an option for an attachable flash drive at a reasonable price. This allows students less worry and more time to focus on homework and studying.
- Video of Karl & Kevin’s Presentation
Second Place Winner – $2,000: Tindall Grace Hutchinson of Florence Career Center
- “Shutter Up Photography”- Shutter Up Photography provides professional high quality photographs, geared with the individual client in mind at a price they can afford.
- Video of Tindall’s Presentation
Third Place Winner – $1,000: Christian Wade of Fort Dorchester High School
- “Squeaky Sneaks”- Squeaky Sneaks provides each customer with the best eco-friendly shoe cleaning service at a reasonable price with the best quality in return!
- Video of Christian’s Presentation
INAUGURAL MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION, presented by BANK OF AMERICA
The expansion into middle schools began in the 2015-2016 school year due to sponsorships by the Hootie and the Blowfish Foundation and the Chick-fil-a Foundation who helped fund summer and after-school programs at several Charleston-area middle schools. In partnership with Bank of America, YEScarolina was able to host our first ever Middle School State Competition at Laing Middle School of Science & Technology. Kim Wilkerson, South Carolina state president for Bank of America shares “Bank of America is deeply committed to investing in our state’s workforce readiness. Unique programs like this are so valuable because they offer students exposure to real world scenarios that can set the stage for long term success.” First and Second place winners of the Middle School Competition advanced to the final round of YEScarolina’s 5th Annual High School State Competition presented by the Mark E. Motley Foundation where they competed against the top high school students in the State.
First Place Winner ($500): Isaiah Griffin of Military Magnet Academy
- “Beach Bubble Ice Cream”- Beach Bubble Ice Cream’s mission is to change the image of the old ice cream truck with a NEW creative and professional way to connect and serve today’s customers. Professional, licensed, uniformed ice cream trucks serving the public. Beach Bubble Ice Cream serves prepackaged novelty ice cream, some of which can not be purchased in stores.
- Video of Isaiah’s Presentation
Second Place Winner ($300): Gavin Viohl of Laing Middle School of Science & Technology
- “Miles of Smiles Fishing Charters”- With Miles Of Smiles Fishing Charters, we strive to provide a family friendly atmosphere that can also accommodate the needs of the disabled and injured vets through 4 hour fishing charters leaving from the Isle of Palms Marina. Our charters provide a fun way to get everyone involved in the experience of lowcountry fishing.
- Video of Gavin’s Presentation
Third Place Winner ($200): Heather Harris of Laing Middle School of Science & Technology
- “Heather’s Dog Walking”- Heather’s Dog Walking plans give people a cheap and easy way to give their dogs the exercise they need in a safe and loving environment.
BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION FAQs